The CUMC Community Food Pantry started mid March 2020 with a couple of plastic shelves outside our sanctuary doors at the beginning of the Covid-19 pandemic. A simple sign asking people to “care well for each other” and instructions stating “take what you need-leave what you can” has been well received and supported by the Chatham and Madison communities. As our neighbors needs increase, our response has grown. Our “Pop Up Pantry” has been replaced with two weather sturdy sheds and remain accessible 24 hours a day-7 days a week and are located behind Chatham United Methodist Church at 460 Main Street. These sheds can be found adjacent to the Chatham Methodist Preschool Playground and the Chatham Middle School Parking lot. We rely on our community to keep our shelves well stocked; the Chatham United Methodist Church currently houses a storage room full of donations to keep our pantry full. Please check here to see what we currently need to replenish our shelves.
Support Our Panty
- Shop our WishList! If you would like to help supply our Pantry through Amazon, Click Here. All items are shipped directly to the Chatham United Methodist Church.
- Donate Online! If you would like to support of our efforts, Please Click Here and select CUMC Covid Relief/Community Food Distribution.
- Checks made out to Chatham United Methodist Church may be mailed to the church at 460 Main Street, Chatham NJ 07928. Please include Covid Relief Fund in memo line.
UPDATED 1/13/21 Items Currently in Need:
- All personal care items such as: soaps, shampoos and conditioners, body wash, toothpaste, mouthwash, lotions, deodorant, shave cream, feminine care products, Depends, wipes, and diaper cream.
- NonPerishable Food Items such as: boxed milk (also almond/soy), hearty soups (stews, potato, chowders, etc) canned chicken/ham/salmon, baking mixes (cake, muffin, cookies), pancake mix/syrup, boxes of cereal, bags of dried kidney and other beans, canned fruit or fruit cups, peanut butter, individually packaged snacks, size 4 & 5 diapers, pull ups, condiments, cooking oil, and flour/sugar. We are well stocked for the month of January: canned tuna, toothbrushes, and baby diapers (size 1-3 & 6).
At this time we are overwhelmed with the following donations and will NOT need more until the Spring:
All types of Mac and Cheese, various types of pasta and tomato sauce, applesauce jars, canned legumes (red, kidney, garbanzo, pinto, navy, black beans, etc), baked beans, rice, tomato and chicken noodle soups, canned cranberry, instant potatoes, Stove Top/instant stuffing, canned vegetables (mixed, corn, carrots, green beans, and peas). Baby food and formula.
We Do Not Take!!
- No fresh or frozen meat of any kind.
- No dairy: including eggs, fresh milk, cheese, butter (unless delivered directly from a store/business)
- No frozen foods
- No bags of bread (we are supplied daily with Panera Bread and Chatham Bagel)
- No home baked goods
- No items previously opened or not individually wrapped
- Nothing expired
Please know that we only accept food or personal care items and cannot accept household goods, clothing, furniture, toys, etc.
We are so grateful for your continued support. Our community’s generosity is inspiring and appreciated.
The CUMC Community Food pantry is part of a community effort to address food insecurity among our neighbors. Additional efforts and our partners include:
- Chatham Wednesday Food Distribution: Click Here to donate towards produce boxes. (choose Covid Relief/Food Distribution)
- Helping Hands of Chatham, NJ: Click Here for information on donating towards ShopRite Gift Cards.