- Take what you need, leave what you can.
The CUMC Community Food Pantry started mid March 2020 with a couple of plastic shelves outside our sanctuary doors at the beginning of the Covid-19 pandemic. A simple sign asking people to “care well for each other” and instructions stating “take what you need-leave what you can” has been well received and supported by the Chatham and Madison communities. As our neighbors needs increase, our response has grown. Our “Pop Up Pantry” has been replaced with two weather sturdy sheds and remain accessible 24 hours a day-7 days a week and are located behind Chatham United Methodist Church at 460 Main Street. These sheds can be found adjacent to the Chatham Methodist Preschool Playground and the Chatham Middle School Parking lot. We rely on our community to keep our shelves well stocked.
We Need Your Help at our CUMC Community Food Pantry!
Our pantry continues to grow to meet community need; for us to be able to continue we need volunteers to help sort donations and restock the sheds. Want to know what this is about? Click here to watch the instructional video. Help is needed for about an hour on Saturday, Sunday, and Monday afternoons (possibly Fridays as well). If you have any questions or want to inquire, please email the church office at email@example.com
Support Our Panty
- Shop our Amazon WishList! CLICK HERE
- Donate Online! If you would like to support of our efforts, Please Click Here and select CUMC Covid Relief/Community Food Distribution.
- Checks made out to Chatham United Methodist Church may be mailed to the church at 460 Main Street, Chatham NJ 07928. Please include Covid Relief Fund in memo line
At this time we need:
- NonPerishable Food Items such as: Canned Protein (chicken, ham, fish), plastic/cans of tomato sauce, boxes of pasta, cereal bars or granola bars, boxed milk (almond/soy), applesauce/fruit cups/canned fruit, instant potatoes, peanut butter, jelly, bags of dried beans/lentils, rice, canned beans (all types), all canned vegetables. Individually packaged snacks, pancake mix and syrup, condiments/salad dressings, cooking oil, and flour/sugar.
- All personal care items such as: all sizes of diapers, soaps (liquid and bar), shampoo, conditioner, toothbrushes, toothpaste, mouthwash, lotions, shave cream, disposable razors, deodorant, baby wipes, and diaper cream. (Men’s care products are needed most as we have a donation in progress for women’s personal care items.)
We are well supplied with the following donations and will NOT need more at this time:
All types of macaroni and cheese, tomato and chicken noodle soups, boxes of cereal and oatmeal, canned cranberry, canned pumpkin, and canned yams. We discourage the donation of baby food and baby formula. We have found that these items usually expire before we are able to distribute it.
We Do Not Take!!
- No fresh or frozen meat of any kind.
- No dairy: including eggs, fresh milk, cheese, butter (unless delivered directly from a store/business)
- No frozen foods
- No bags of bread (we are supplied daily with Panera Bread and Chatham Bagel)
- No home baked goods
- No items previously opened or not individually wrapped
- Nothing expired
Please know that we only accept food or personal care items and cannot accept household goods, clothing, furniture, toys, etc.
We are so grateful for your continued support. Our community’s generosity is inspiring and appreciated.
The CUMC Community Food pantry is part of a community effort to address food insecurity among our neighbors. Additional efforts and our partners include:
- Chatham Wednesday Food Distribution: Click Here to donate towards produce boxes. (choose Covid Relief/Food Distribution)
- Helping Hands of Chatham, NJ: Click Here for information on donating towards ShopRite Gift Cards.